A Word from Dr. Mike - 4/26/22
Here is an important question. What is sin? Recently, I saw this tweet from Pastor Jordan Easley: “Sin is what you do when your heart is not satisfied with GOD.”
I also came across an audio message by Pastor John Piper, who also answered the question, “What is sin?” Here is a transcription of his message:
“A few years ago I attempted to define sin, therefore like this. And this is the root, not the branch. “Sin is…
· The glory of GOD not honored.
· The holiness of GOD not reverenced.
· The greatness of GOD not admired.
· The power of GOD not praised.
· The truth of GOD not sought.
· The wisdom of GOD not esteemed.
· The beauty of GOD not treasured.
· The goodness of GOD not savored.
· The faithfulness of GOD not trusted.
· The promises of GOD not believed.
· The commandments of GOD not obeyed.
· The justice of GOD not respected.
· The wrath of GOD not feared.
· The grace of GOD not cherished.
· The presence of GOD not prized.
· The person of GOD not loved.
“Why is it that people become so emotionally and morally indignant over poverty, exploitation, prejudice, abortion, infractions of our religious liberty? Manifold injustices of man to man and feel little or no remorse or indignation or outrage that GOD is disregarded, disbelieved, disobeyed, dishonored, and thus belittled by millions and millions of His creatures. And the answer to that question is sin. And that is the ultimate outrage in the universe - that we don’t treasure GOD above everything.”
Every follower of JESUS must have a “holy hatred” for sin and a passion for living righteously in a very sin-filled world. Rather than being “conformed” to this world, believers are to be “transformed” by the renewing of their minds though the reading, studying, teaching, and preaching of GOD’s Word. This spiritual imperative can only be accomplished by obeying the command given to believers in Galatians 5:16: “Keep on walking in the SPIRIT and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.”